Thursday, January 22, 2009

On 2nd Hand

It's amazing how time and prayer can change your perspective on things. Fortunately, I have had enough experiences to help me recognize that with time and prayer my choices are always better ones! Thanks be to God!!!

So, in this instance, I'm referring to Liam's school situation. My initial response, as I mentioned in that post, was to register Liam at both schools to ensure his placement somewhere. This is part of the frenzy I spoke of...acting out of initial thought for what you may think is for the betterment of your child. Well, as Liam's parents, we do want what's best for him....of course. But I had to ask myself, is it right to enroll him into one school knowing that we have intentions for his placement elsewhere. The answer is no. We've decided that the best decision is to talk about our situation with the director of his current school and explain that we honestly feel excited and drawn to our faith school. She is so kind and laid back that I know she will respect our choice. We also want to attend St. John's school board meeting to ask why they would want to place children outside of the parish before our children within the parish. Maybe they haven't thought of our perspective or maybe they have made their difficult decision for a reason.
If St. John's falls through, we'll still have three great choices.

1) Enroll him at his current school.
2) If there's no slot, place him on the waiting list.
3) Keep him home with us and attend a Kindermusik class or the like

His job each day is to play...this is his work and is how he learns. Providing him with opportunity, support, encouragement and love is just part of our job as loving parents.

Nonetheless, he will be in a safe, loving, learning environment.

No matter where he is placed...We are his first teachers!

2 comments:

Mma said...

Yes, take a step back from the situation, listen to your heart and God's direction will come to you. His plan should always be your focus. Liam will thrive no matter where he spends the next school year.

Papa said...

I honor and respect your decision to be honest, fair and up front with everyone. Now, I know M'ma and I raised you right! As I said before, everything's going to work out just fine. Your integrity means so much and that's what makes me proud. God Bless!