Thursday, January 15, 2009

It's Already Time to Register for the Next School Year!

We attended our parish school, St. John's, Open House this past weekend. We truly went out of curiosity and obligation to Liam as we all are very happy with his current school. We left the O.H. so impressed with St. John's preschool teacher and classroom setting. WOW!!! The classroom centers, curriculum and teacher's background are impeccable. Liam had so much fun playing there as we gathered as much information as possible. As of this morning, he is officially registered for St. John's three/four year old preschool.

Now...the frustrating part...the school fills the four year old slots first and we may not have a firm answer to Liam's placement until this summer. Of course, our registration and annual fees will be refunded if he's not placed but that's just it...what if he's not placed. So, we will have to go ahead and register him at his current school, too, in order to ensure placement somewhere. This just doesn't seem right because if he goes to St. John's we will lose out on the fees paid to his current school. I know of at least one other family from St. John's who is in this same position.

I don't entirely agree with this method especially if non-parish students registering after Liam get first priority, however, there is not much I can do about it this morning. I am curious to find out who I may entertain my questions to, however. Possibly a school board meeting? I plan to find out.

It's easy to see how some parents really go crazy over this whole ordeal as if our children's education is some kind of push and shove race to the finish. Liam is not even three years of age and we have already devoted quite a bit of effort and concern...I can only imagine what it must be like choosing the right school for upper grades and college!

Lucky for Liam, he'll be in a safe, loving, learning environment, nonetheless!!!

4 comments:

Mma said...

You're right about the most important thing right now is that Liam is in a loving and supportive environment. Amy, you have already given him a GREAT start with the spiritual guidance you provide and encouraging his obvious love of learning. When Liam's nose is in a book the walls could fall down around him and he'd never know it. Just turn the whole process over to God and let Him decide what is the best path.

...And Liam Makes Three! said...

Thanks for your support and words of encouragement!

Mma said...

Those are the only words I allow in my vocabulary!

Papa said...

I can only echo what M'ma has already said about letting God decide the best course and outcome. I will add, however, my two cents worth! What I've seen, heard and believe, nonetheless, is that a child's most formative time in life is to age 3, so, we will soon have reached that hurdle and just have to pick up from there....leave the rest to God! Liam has enjoyed a wonderful experience at his present school, and all is not lost. I think everything is going to turn out JUST FINE! I love you.